- The USEPA is hosting a meeting on Great Lakes planning and initiatives on Wednesday, June 13 at 6 pm at the University of Toledo Law School. All interested in Lake Erie are encouraged to attend.
- Lake Erie Waterkeeper Meeting at Packo’s, downtown on June 14 at 7 pm.
- Lake Erie Foundation Summer Roundtables at Marblehead Library (235 Pleasant St in Marblehead, OH 01945) at 8:30 am on Friday, June 15. Guest speaker Dr. Herdondorf,retired director of Ohio Sea Grant will talk about the high water levels, the Lake Erie shoreline and projects to protect the shoreline that do and do not work. There will also be a round table discussion about Lake Erie that will include this lawsuit: https://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2018/06/ohio_wont_create_required_plan.html The next roundtables are scheduled for July 20 and August 3. (enter through back door)
- Lake Erie Commission meeting at Geneva on the Lake on June 29 at 10:00 am till Noon at the Lodge. (4888 N. Broadway)
- Great Lakes Executive Meeting in Chicago on June 2018
- The Lake Erie Foundation (LEF) Board held its bimonthly meeting on May 5th. in Lakewood, Ohio. (See pictures below).
- The Lake Erie Foundation was held at the Catawba Island Boat Show April 27 – 29.
- The IJC Board Meeting was held on April 24-26 DC.
- The Waterkeeper Annual Lake Erie 2018 Conference sponsored by the Lake Erie Foundation was held Fri, April 13, 2018 from 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM EDT at the W.W. Knight Preserve on 29530 White Rd. in Perrysburg, Oh 43551. There were 60 in attendance.
- A team of ten from the Lake Erie Foundation (LEF) went to Washington DC for Great Lakes Lobby Days. They attended events and had meetings with congressional offices etc. advocating for accountability for dollars spent to reduce algae and for rules for soil phosphorous to be the same for manure(now about 4x greater) as they are for commercial fertilizer. LEF also asked for funding for manure reuse/treatment technology including help with Asian Carp, Invasives and GLRI and other funding
- The Lake Erie Foundation (LEF) Board held its Retreat on Wednesday, February 21st. 2018 at the Cataba Island Club. LEF’s mission is to create and maintain a healthy Lake Erie now and forever as defined by drinkable water, recreational contact and edible fish.
- Annual Meeting: The Lake Erie Foundation held its annual meeting at Sandusky Yacht Club on Wednesday, January 31 at 4:30 followed by dinner and guest speakers Sandusky City Manager Eric Wobser and Public Works Director Aaron Kline. There were more than 30 people in attendance.
- Legislative Forum: The Lake Erie Foundation sponsored a legislative forum at Lakeside, Ohio on Monday, December 11, 2017. Jeff Reutter began the program with an update on Lake Erie algae followed by a summary of the Lake Erie Foundations efforts for Lake Erie. A Lake Erie panel discussion followed with Q & A for legislators and other participants. The presentation was based largely on a recent “White Paper*” entitled Summary of Findings and Strategies to Move Toward a 40% Phosphorus Reduction White Paper Strategies – Summary outlining the challenges Lake Erie is experiencing. The paper also offers recommendations of viable solutions to ensure a healthy lake environment. To view the accompanying PowerPoint presentation given by Dr. Reutter click here White Paper Strategies – Reutter.
* By Kristen Fussell, Gail Hesse, Laura Johnson, Kevin King, Greg LaBarge, Jay Martin, Jeffrey Reutter, Robyn Wilson, and Christopher Winslow, September 2017